Medical English // Adult Courses
Improve your knowledge in the field of human biology, medical science, nursing and much more. Your course will consist of 20 lessons of General English and 10 lessons of Medical English per week.
By studying hard and achieving goals, this course will improve your speaking and language skills. Also, advance your career and allow you to communicate fluently with your counterparts in other countries.
Many of our clients are medical specialists from leading hospitals and clinics around the world. This also includes doctors, nurses and other health practitioners.
This course will enable you to function effectively in everyday situations where clarity of expression in technical Medical English is required.
Typical Course Content
The Medical English course will typically develop language appropriately to the following areas:
- Communicating effectively with patients
- Communicating effectively with professional colleagues
- Discussing treatments, presenting opinions and assessments
- Developing a winning CV and triumph in English at interviews
- Learning how to fit into a professional team in the UK
- Making medical applications during the course
- Taking and understanding a patient history, asking about symptoms, recording information, communicating information accurately
- Examining a patient, rephrasing, explaining, prompting
- Using a medical dictionary
- Interpreting, explaining and discussing a diagnosis
- Understanding medical diagrams and documents
- Using general medical reference books and a pharmacology reference
- Examining case histories
- Studying the language as it relates to medical treatment; i.e. for physiotherapy, surgical treatment, giving and understanding instructions
- Considering language functions appropriate to certain medical scenarios
- Learning common medical abbreviations
- Examining the structure and organisation of the British National Health Service, including a discussion about the British hospital system
- Discussing the future of medicine.
Medical English runs in 12 week terms, but you can study for a little or as long as you wish.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long are classes?
Each lesson in 45 minutes long.
Our Specialist Courses offer you 30 lessons per week. This means you receive 22.5 hours of tuition per week. Some of your classes will be in the afternoon.
When can I start studying?
You can enrol at ETC from any Monday of your choice. On your first Monday at ETC you will take a test that will help us decide which level of classes you need.